Friday, December 15, 2006


WHAT: The American Cathedral
WHERE:   23, avenue George V. 75008 Paris
METRO: George V, Alma-Marceau , RER:  the Pont d'Alma stop on the C line.
Buses : 42(42 does not operate on Sunday), 63, 80 and 92 stop near the Place d'Alma
NOTES: The American Cathedral of the Holy Trinity, America's Episcopal/Anglican church in Paris, has served the American community since the 1830s when services were organized in the garden pavilion of the Hotel Matignon, the home of Colonel Herman Thorn, (now the official residence of the French Prime Minister). A parish was formally established in 1859 and the first church building consecrated in 1864 on Rue Bayard.  The church was consecrated on Thanksgiving Day, November 25, 1886, coinciding with the dedication of the Statue of Liberty in New York, thus reinforcing both our French and American alliances. In 1922, Holy Trinity became a cathedral, technically a pro-cathedral, in that it continues as a parish church and also serves as the seat for the Bishop in charge of Episcopal churches in Europe.

WHAT: Église de la Sainte Trinité
METRO:  Trinite
NOTES: It is a Catholic Church in the 9e Arrondissement. It was built during the Second Empire period as part of Baron Housmann's redesign of Paris and features a distinct bell tower.Messiaen held the position of titular organist at L'Église de la Sainte Trinité, Paris, from 1931 until his death in 1992. Messiaen was also a deputy organist at La Trinité for two years before succeeding Charles Quef to the position.The Grand Orgue of La Trinité was enlarged and restored under Messiaen's supervision and was a particular influence on Messiaen's composition and improvisation.

WHAT: Église Saint Sulpice
NOTES: Saint-Sulpice is a famous Parisian church on the east side of the Place Saint-Sulpice, in the Luxembourg Quarter of the VIe arrondissement. 113 meters long, 58 meters in width and 34 meters tall, it is only slightly smaller than Notre-Dame and thus the second largest church in Paris. It is dedicated to Sulpitius the Pious.
The present church is the second building, erected over an ancient Romanesque church originally constructed during the 13th century. Additions were made over the centuries, up to 1631. The new building was founded in 1646 by parish priest Jean-Jacques Olier (1608-1657) who had established the Society of Saint-Sulpice, a clerical congregation, and a seminary attached to the church. The church was mostly completed in 1732, but the facade at the west end was not begun before 1776.
The result is a simple two storey west front with two tiers of elegant columns. The overall harmony of the building is, some say, only marred by the mismatched two towers, though these were added by Jean François Chalgrin shortly before the French Revolution.
In 1862, the current pipe organ of St-Sulpice, constructed by Aristide Cavaille-Coll, was added to the church. The church has a long-standing tradition of talented organists that dates back to the 18th century.

WHAT: Saint-Séverin Church
WHERE: 3, rue des Prêtres Saint-Séverin, 75005 Paris
NOTES: The Church of Saint-Séverin (Eglise Saint-Séverin) is a small church in the Latin Quarter of Paris, located on the lively tourist street Rue St-Séverin. It is the oldest church that remains standing on the Left Bank, and it continues in use as a place of worship.
The church is dedicated to Séverin, who is said to have been a hermit who lived there and prayed in a small rudimentary oratory. After Séverin's death, a basilica was constructed on the spot. This was destroyed by the Vikings, and the current church building was started in the 11th century, though its major features are Gothic and date from the 15th century. Its external features include some fine gargoyles. Its bells include the oldest one remaining in Paris, cast in 1412; their ringing is recalled in a well known poem in praise of Paris by Alan Seeger.
Until 1790 Saint-Severin was the seat of the southern archdeaconry of the pre-revolutionary diocese of Paris. In the late nineteenth century the writer Huysmans frequented and popularised the church. At Michaelmas 1956 it was the scene of a demonstration by Christian conscripts against the war in Algeria.

WAHT: The American Church in Paris
WHERE: 65 Quai d'Orsay 75007 (10-minutes by bus from the flat -

NOTES:The American Church in Paris is the first American church established outside the United States. It started in 1814, when it was officially chartered and the first sanctuary was built in 1857. Throughout its history, it has served not only the expatriate American community, but a wide variety of English-speaking people from different countries and denominational backgrounds who find a hospitable spiritual home and connection that enhances their faith experience while living and working in France. The American church in Paris is indeed a church of all nations, that prides itself in the appellation "God's own United Nations Organisation" with people from over nearly 50 nations and 35 Christian denominations worshiping every Sunday in its Sanctuary. People from all nations receive communion in the Church of Jesus Christ - residents of Paris, along with visitors, represent many cultures, races, languages, and denominational traditions. More than 2000 people use its resource and facilities everyday. The building hosts two bilingual nursery schools, a variety of "twelve step" recovery groups, aerobics classes, kung fu, basketball leagues, a free concert series.

WHAT: L'église Saint-Eustache
METRO: Les Halles
NOTES: L'église Saint-Eustache is a church in the Ier arrondissement of Paris, built between 1532 and 1632. It is another Parisian gothic gem. The church's reputation was strong enough of the time for it to be chosen as the location for a young Louis XIV to receive communion. Mozart also chose the sanctuary as the location for his mother's funeral. Among those baptised here as children were Richelieu, Jeanne-Antoinette Poisson, future Madame de Pompadour and Molière, who was also married here two decades later. The last rites for Anne of Austria, Turenne and Mirabeau were pronounced within its walls.
Situated in an area of Paris renowned for fresh produce of all kinds, the church became a parish in 1223, thanks to a man named Alais who achieved this by taxing the baskets of fish sold nearby. To thank such divine generosity Alais constructed a chapel dedicated to Sainte-Agnès, a Roman martyr. The construction of the current church began in 1532, the work not being finally completed until 1637. The name "Saint-Eustache" refers to Saint Eustace, a Roman general who was burned along with his family for converting to Christianity. Several impressive paintings by Rubens remain in the church today. Each summer, organ concerts commemorate the premieres of Berlioz's.

WHAT:Saint Denis Basilique
METRO: Saint Denis,
NOTES: This basilica is the burial site of most of the kings and queens of France, and it's the coronation site of all of the French queens.  It's also a very nice church with beautiful stained glass windows and such.  Saint Denis is a patron saint of France and, according to legend, was the first bishop of Paris. A shrine was erected at his burial place. There Dagobert I, king of the Franks, who reigned from 628 to 637, founded the Abbey of Saint Denis, a Benedictine monastery.

WHAT: Sainte Chapelle
WHERE: 4 bd. du Palais. 75001 Paris
METRO: Cité, Saint-Michel
PHONE: + 33 1 53 40 60 80

WHAT: Notre Dame
WHERE: place du Parvis de Notre-Dame. 75004 Paris
METRO: Saint-Michel
PHONE: + 33 1 44 32 16 72

WHAT: La Madeleine
WHERE: Place de la Madeleine. 75008 Paris
METRO: Madeleine
PHONE: + 33 1 44 51 69 00

WHAT: Sacre-Coeur
WHERE: Place du Parvis du Sacré-Coeur
METRO:  Anvers
PHONE: + 33 1 53 41 89 00


Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home